Columns and Insights
NAIOP’s government affairs team publishes articles quarterly in Development magazine and publishes blog posts bi-weekly in the Market Share blog on legislative issues affecting the commercial real estate industry. Below are the most recent articles.
Market Share Blog Posts
- Fiscal Condition of States Not as Grim During Pandemic as Expected (March 17, 2021)
- The COVID Relief Bill and What Comes Next (March 3, 2021)
- Hawaii Legislature Considering Commercial Rent Moratorium (Feb. 16, 2021)
- President Biden’s Tax Agenda: Issues for Commercial Real Estate (Feb. 4, 2021)
- Working Together is the Roadmap to Success (Jan. 29, 2021)
- The State and Local Debates on Wage Theft Legislation (Jan. 21, 2021)
- Closely Divided Senate and Political Crosscurrents Make Passing Sweeping Legislation Difficult (Jan. 6, 2021)
- Nobody Wants To Be the Grinch Who Stole the Stimulus (Dec. 16, 2020)
- Despite Legislative Stalemate, Tax Regulators Press On (Dec. 2, 2020)
View the full archive of legislative blog posts.
Development Magazine Articles
Liquor License Policies Can Boost Real Estate Growth
Development, Winter 2019/2020
NAIOP chapters seek to loosen Prohibition-era restrictions.
Property Tax Battle Targets CRE
Development, Fall 2019
The split roll ballot initiative in California could lead to much higher assessments — and it could also happen in other parts of the U.S.
The Northern Influence of Commercial Real Estate
Development, Summer 2019
The industry’s impact on Canada is the focus of a new NAIOP research report.
Facts Drive NAIOP Advocacy at the Local Level
Development, Spring 2019
Reports from two chapters demonstrate the value of targeted research when it comes to influencing policymakers.
Is Your Building Energy Star Certified? Better Check Again
Development, Winter 2018/2019
Changes to Portfolio Manager lower scores for thousands of commercial properties.
Invest in Opportunity: Invest in Rural America
Development, Fall 2018
Qualified Opportunity Zones will capitalize on rural America’s “can-do” attitude.
California Groups Seek Property Tax Hikes
Development, Summer 2018
A ballot initiative could remove Proposition 13’s protections for commercial property.
Air Resources Board Targets California's Industrial Properties
Development, Winter 2017-2018
California’s Air Resources Board is considering an indirect source rule that would hold building owners and/or tenants responsible for reducing greenhouse gas emissions from trucks and other mobile sources that service their facilities.
Construction Defects Litigation Reform in Colorado
Development, Fall 2017
Five years, a coalition of more than 55 organizations and 41 mayors, nearly $900,000 spent on social media and communications, and countless hours at the negotiating table finally resulted in victory around the issue of “construction defects litigation reform” in Colorado.
Regulatory Framework for a New Administration
Development, Summer 2017
Uncertainty about how the Trump administration will fulfill its promises to vastly decrease the number of federal regulations is creating uncertainty for the CRE industry.
National Groups Shift Focus to Cities
Development, Spring 2017
NAIOP and its members must be on the lookout for local initiatives driven by national organizations that could impact commercial real estate.